Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thornton Winery, Temecula

I have been visiting wineries in Temecula for about 20 years and no matter who I go with we always start at Thornton Winery.

John and Sally Thornton established the winery in 1988. John has had and continues to have a very successful business career. Sally is an accomplished author and holds memberships on countless committees and Boards throughout San Diego.

The Thornton Winery facility is quite lovely. It has a mansion or castle like feel to it. The grounds are endless and serves well for their summer events like the Jazz concert series and the Father's Day hot air ballon festival.

This winery is unique when it comes to tastings. It is a "sit down" affair. You sit down at a table and are presented with a menu of tasting flights. You choose the flight that interests you, they bring all four glasses of the wines to your table and place them on a placemat that lists the wines on your flight.

You can either sit in the tasting room where they have a limited food menu or enjoy your tasting with a full menu in the Cafe Champagne 5star restaurant. You can sit inside or out on the patio's of either venue.

Now, as a rule I like to be able to talk to someone about the wines as I taste, but I have to say that sitting quietly while enjoying the wines can be quite satisfying. I have also had quite a bit of fun sitting with a large group while tasting wines and discussing amongst ourselves.

I chose to taste in the restaurant and enjoyed a Roasted Tomato, Eggplant, and Garlic Pizza while Joanie poured the Reserve Flight:

2004 Brut Reserve - Thornton winery adhers to the "Methode Champenoise" to produce their wines. A blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, and Pino Noir. Delicate apple and toasted yeast aromas.

2006 Estate Syrah - Dusty berry and black cherry aromas with a touch of white pepper. Plum and anise flavors with cocoa and berry fruit nuances.

2007 Nebbiolo - Black fruit and spice in the nose, rich fruit and mocha notes in the mouth, finishing with a burst of cherry, plum and fresh leather in the mouth.

2006 Late Harvest Zinfandel - Dessert style, berry aromas, coat the palate with blueberry pie and white chocolate flavors. Finishes with black fruit overtones and hints of toasty oak. A pefect match with chocolate or a fine cigar. I say why not both?

It was a lovely afternoon and I wish I could have stayed longer, but I know I will be back....

1 comment:

  1. My sweet friend...how I miss you and wish I could sample these lovely wines with you! I like you, always visit Thornton 1st. Great people, good wine & to die for ahi tuna as a little something on the stomach before a day of wine tasting.

    ReplyDelete