Friday, September 24, 2010

The Hitching Post, Buellton

Frank and Natalie Ostini founded The Hitching Post II in 1986, the first Hitching Post in Casmalia was established in 1952. A steak house that cooks on open fire over red oak. In somewhat recent years the family decided to try their hand at winemaking.

Adam and Oscar tended bar and I decided to skip the tasting and got right to pairing. They suggested the following with my meal selection:

2006 Pinot Noir, Saint Rita's Earth. Paired with grilled artichoke and Smoked Tomato Pesto (sold at the restaurant).

2006 Syrah, Big Circle. Paired with Filet Mignon, medium rare.

2007 Late Harvest Gewurztraminer. Paired with creme brulee.

I love to eat at restaurant bars. You meet the most fascinating people. A couple from Boston on a journey from LAX to Pismo Beach for a wedding stopped in and joined me at the bar for a little dinner. They were so much fun I hated to see them leave, but then another couple, the Beckers, who happened to be on their honeymoon took their place at the bar.

As Tom and Kristin and I were enjoying ourselves, a local artist Larry R. Rankin, sculptor, http://www.larryrrankin-sculptor.com/ sat at the empty seat between us. What a character! While we all carried on about art or the lack there of, Barbara Satterfield of the Santa Rita Hills Winegrowers Alliance www.staritahills.com approached me with an invitation to visit the Lompoc wineries, which I fully intend to do! Tom and Kristin mentioned that they were married at a winery and hoped I would put it on my list to visit, which of course I will.

What a night! I want to thank Adam and Oscar for taking such good care of me and my new friends at the Hitching Post!

No comments:

Post a Comment