Friday, September 24, 2010

Rideau Vineyards, Solvang

Iris Rideau founder of Rideau Vineyards is my hero. After retiring at a very young age from a great business career, she moved up to the Santa Ynez Valley. In 1995 she bought a historic adobe on 25 acres and founded Rideau Vineyards in 1997. Iris, a New Orleans native, finds that the Rhone varietals pair best with her Creole dishes.

The winery is located on Alamo Pintado Road which is lined with apple orchards, and berry farmers. Right across the street from the winery is a ranch of miniature horses. Now, I could be wrong but I swear I saw several kangaroo grazing on another pasture on the way. I admit it was late in the day and I had been to a few other wineries, but I think I know a kangaroo when I see one. I mean if they can raise ostrich in Santa Ynez why not kangaroo?

Rideau's driveway is lined with what I like to call Christmas trees and as you round the bend you are blessed with the picture perfect view of the restored adobe, built in 1884, which is surrounded by a gorgeous flower garden with a very large tree covered picnic area that wraps from the front of the house to the rear. The vines are to the left. The tasting room is in the enclosed patio. The wine tasting bar is located in front of the floor to ceiling windows and French doors that overlook the vineyards. Rise was pouring wine and I decided to taste the Reserve & Estate Wines:

2009 Grenache Blanc - This balanced white wine is full of lush body, complex flavors and heady aromatics. Pair with chicken.

2009 Estate Viognier - Elegant notes of minerality and brine balancing a tropical fruit-laden mouthful. Rise had me pair this with the Rideau Feta & Pink Peppercorns and bread.

2006 Reserve Chardonnay - Bien Nacido Vineyards. Notes of chalky limestone, toasted coconut and flint. Pair with Swordfish.

2006 Iris' Chateau Duplantier - Syrah 60%, Grenache 28%, Mourvedre 12%. Hard spice and raspberries. Pair with steak.

2007 Tempranillo - A Spanish varietal. Lush and rich with minerality, mushrooms and black truffles. Pair with barbecue.

2007 Estate Syrah - The flagship wine. Rich flavors of backyard plums and leather. Pair with filet mignon.

Aside from pouring wine for Iris at the vineyard, Rise is a retired Ophthalmologist, and an accomplished artist, http://www.risedelmarochsner.com/. I had a great time talking to Rise about wine, food, and our dogs! Rise's dog Zeke was shading himself under a tree just outside of the tasting room when a couple from Orange County, California showed up with their two dogs. We all took our tasting glasses out on the patio to watch the dogs play and enjoy the fragrant scent of the vines wafting in the breeze.

What a wonderful time I had at Rideau Vineyards! I want to thank Rise, and wish her all the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment