Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sanford Winery and Vineyards, Santa Rita Hills, Buellton

As I continue my journey through the Santa Rita Hills on Santa Rosa Road I find myself at the last winery on the road. Sanford Winery and Vineyards.

Wow! As I turned up the drive way I am awestruck by the winery facility. It is absolutely gorgeous. Built in 2007, a two-story building made out of 100 year-old Washington State barn wood. It was designed to resemble the style of California missions.

Sanford Winery was founded by the Sanford's in 1971 and is now owned by the Terlato family as of 2005.

The wine tasting room is large and airy. There was a birthday party happening when I arrived, but that did not stop Chris and Natalie from taking the time to talk with me. They were pouring the following:

2009 Sauvignon Blanc - Santa Ynez Valley. Passion fruit and pink grapefruit. Pairs well seafood, dishes with goat cheese.

2008 Chardonnay - Santa Barbara County. Full-bodied, nice acidity. Pairs well with most seafood, poultry, and pasta with lighter sauces.

2007 La Rinconada Vineyard Chardonnay - Santa Rita Hills. Melon, and candied lemon peel. I could do this one all by itself just fine.

2009 Pinot Noir-Vin Gris - Santa Rita Hills. Watermelon and Orange blossoms with tangy strawberry flavors. Pairs well with most foods, especially great for summer picnics and holiday dinners.

2008 Pinot Noir - Santa Rita Hills. Raspberries, black pepper and sage. Pair with risotto, salmon.

2008 La Rinconada Vineyard Pinot Noir - Santa Rita Hills. Spicy cherry and raspberry with hints of earth and anise. Pairs well with pork.

I met a very nice couple from Rhode Island, which is unusual. Not unusual because they were nice but because they were from the east coast. Mostly I run into people from L.A. and Orange County when visiting Santa Barbara County wineries. People from other states tend to head for Napa/Sonoma. I picked up some restaurant advise from Joy, one of the birthday party attendees, like Grappa in Santa Ynez and Route 246 in Solvang.

I told Natalie that she reminded me of Natalie from "One Life to Live." Yes, I watch the soaps, and I am none to happy to hear that two of the soaps that I have been raised on are cancelling. Poo!

I had a great time at Sanford Winery and all the wineries on Santa Rosa Road in Santa Rita Hills. I hope you get to visit them sometime.....

No comments:

Post a Comment