Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Baily Vineyard, Temecula

WOW, what a treat I had today!

Baily Vineyard, established in 1986, is the 3rd oldest winery in Temecula. As I approached the winery, I stood still for a moment to admire the vineyards that surround the facility. As I entered, I felt like I was in a castle. The design and decor is magnificent.

Baily Vineyard has quite the bounty of wines. Chuck Sacayan was pouring today and below are the wines that he suggested that I try:

2009 Montage - Double Gold Medal winner at the California State Fair and the Riverside International Wine Competition. A blend of 52% Sauvignon Blanc and 48% Semillon. Yummy with shellfish, chicken, fish, and pasta.

2008 Riesling Dry - This wine was made to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the town of Temecula. A local artist's painting was used to create the label. Makes for a nice gift!

2007 Sangiovese - Fresh aromas of berries and spice. Goes well with hamburgers, steaks, turkey, goose, duck, appetizers, cheese, and pasta.

2005 Cabernet Franc - rich berry aromas, very smooth.

2004 Meritage - A blend of 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Cabernet Franc, and 20% Merlot. Described as "superb".

2006 Vintage Port - Serve with bleu cheese, walnuts and sliced apples. I, of course, would have to have chocolate with this one!

While chatting with Chuck I learned that aside from wine pour he is also a musician. He can be found in Carol's Restaurant at the Vineyard playing his acoustic guitar on the weekends.

After tasting I wandered over to Carol's Restaurant for some lunch. Like the wine tasting room, the restaurant is breathtaking. A knight's armor is displayed in the center, a huge fireplace is located on the back wall. A fabulous view of the vineyard through some very nice picture windows, and the terrace is lovely with more vines just about at arms reach.

I ate indoors instead of the terrace simply because it was a warm day, and I am after all a woman turning 50. If you need more explanation than that, than you are too young to understand. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Once I finished my lunch I wandered out on the terrace to admire the vines and remarked to Marla, the server and the bus boy how I felt like I was witnessing a little miracle. There were oodles of grape clusters all over the vines, some still green but many looking ripe to me!

I must congratulate Phil and Carol Baily on the success of their vineyard, and thank them for creating such a beautiful setting for our enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment