Sunday, August 1, 2010

San Antonio Winery, Los Angeles

San Antonio Winery was established in 1917. It survived prohibition by supplying sacramental wine to the Catholic Church. If I was a new winery, I would want to grow up to be just like San Antonio Winery.

Not only do they have a wine tasting bar, but they also have the Maddalena restaurant which serves superb food. The menu boasts of items such as; Ahi salad, rack of lamb, salmon salad, etc. They also have banquet rooms where you can attend wine seminars, weddings, and other celebrations.

As I entered the winery today I couldn't help but pick up the scent of the wine barrels. Lovely! I, of course, headed straight for the wine tasting bar. I don't know about you but I like to find someone who is knowledgeable. As I made my way through the crowd searching for "the right guy" behind the bar, I found him. His name is Marshall, and he poured the following wines:

San Antonio Heritage Blanc - A blend of Viognier, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Pinot Gris. From the vineyards in Monterey and Paso Robles, CA. Marshall suggests that it be paired with something spicy!

Windstream Chardonnay 2007 - Santa Lucia Highlands, from the Samento Vineyard in Northern Monterey. You should be able to taste some pear and green apple, oak spice and honey. Marshall suggests that it be paired with a salmon salad. Throw in some mandarin oranges!

Windstream Pinot Noir 2008 - Santa Lucia Highlands. Black cherry and raspberry, aging brings in the oak spice and cedar. Marshall feels that this Pinot Noir must be paired with a great New York steak!

Opaque 2006 - 100% Petit Verdot. It is very rare to find a wine 100% Petit Verdot. The grape is usually blended with Bordeaux. Grown in Paso Robles; flavors of black plum, currant, vanilla, and dark chocolate. Marshall and I agree that chocolate, dark chocolate would be the best compliment to this wine.

After tasting wines, I wandered over to the restaurant for lunch and ordered the Ahi Salad, my personal favorite. The restaurant roof is shaped like a wine barrel. There are huge barrels that reach to the roof and smaller barrels stacked in the back of restaurant that have streams of white lights circling them. Very romantic.

On the weekends there are live musicians. Today I had the pleasure of being entertained by Jason Hemmens on the sax while I enjoyed my lunch. Very talented! Check him out on myspace, twitter, and facebook.

As I look around, I see families, couples, and large groups of friends. Dressed up and dressed down. I chatted with a young couple in the early stages of wine appreciation and a more mature couple who have been visiting San Antonio winery for 40 years!

Coming to San Antonio Winery is like taking a mini vacation, I hated to leave....

No comments:

Post a Comment