Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bella Victorian Vineyard, Camarillo

I had a fantastic time at Bella Victorian Vineyard yesterday!

The vineyard is family owned and operated by Jerry and Kimberly Monahan. They have been growing vines for about 8 years and producing wine since about 2005.

The tasting room and bistro are located in adorable Old Town Camarillo. The building is made of a goldish brick, giving it a very old world feel. As I walked in I was completely charmed by the decor. Medium brown wood cabinets along the walls, Victorian type lamps, black wrought iron tables and chairs with deep burgundy tablecloths, ornate mirrors and family photos on the walls. Capacity is about 32 inside and 12 on the sidewalk patio.

The bistro was pretty lively at 11:20, considering they don't open until 11:30! Chef Gael Lecolley and Shanen knew every single person that walked into the bistro. The wine tasting bar is arranged at the kitchen. Just like a home kitchen with a counter. I sat at the bar so I could chat with Chef Gael and Shanen while they worked. I ordered the "Luxury Tasting Flight" and Shanen poured the following:

2008 Brooklyn Pinot Noir - from the Santa Rita Hills of Santa Barbara County. The wine is named after the Monahan's daughter. It has a jammy flavor of strawberry and cherry. Chef Gael suggests pairing with quail, pheasant, and Ahi or any meaty fish.

2007 The Garage Syrah - Approximately 75% from their vineyard in Camarillo and 25% from Paso Robles. Very small production. Nice hint of black peppercorn. Chef Gael suggests pairing with lamb and buffalo.

2007 Kimberly Cabernet Sauvignon - from Napa Valley. Creamy chocolate and espresso flavors. Chef Gael suggests pairing with Rib eye, heavy, fatty meats.

After the tasting I decided that I wanted a glass of the Cab with lunch and Shanen suggested that I have the RnP pizza made with Chef Gael's very own pizza dough; Napolitano tomato sauce, filet mignon, scaloppini, and caramelized onion. The crust was crispy and the toppings melted right in my mouth. To top things off I savored Chef Gael's chocolate truffles with the 2006 Romeo Grenache (named after the family dog) - from Santa Ynez, Santa Barbara County. Yummy.

I highly recommend sitting at the bar so that you can chat with the chef and staff. I learned that Chef Gael is from Norway, has 24 years experience, trained in Norway and France, and has a brand new puppy. He is hoping to produce a T.V. show called "Toasted" sometime in the future. Shanen has been in the wine business for several years, just recently with Bella.

I want to thank Gael and Shanen for making me feel like a local!

No comments:

Post a Comment